The Founders of the Holy Monastery of the
Transfiguration of the Savior of Nafpaktos
The driving forces behind the founding of the Men’s Monastic Fraternity of the Transfiguration of the Savior in Skala, Nafpaktos were the Archimandrite Spyridon Logothetis from Keratsini, Piraeus, who would go on to become its first Kathegumen, and its five Nafpaktian co-founders, the late Hieronymos Delimaris (1951-2021), and the Archimandrites Nektarios Goliopoulos, Symeon Tsironis, Ignatios Stavropoulos, and Eirinaios Koutsogiannis. Submitting a written petition with their signatures to the local Metropolitan of Nafpaktia, the late Damaskinos Kotzias, they began the process of founding the initial Coenobium of the Holy Monastery of the Transfiguration of the Savior – Missionary Center.
The relevant Presidential Decree founding the Monastery was signed by the late Constantine Karamanlis, President of the Hellenic Republic, and published in the Government Gazette in 1980, during the primacy of the late Archbishop of Athens Seraphim. Construction on the Monastery had already begun in 1977, under the auspices of the Holy Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior, on public lands given for this purpose by the Forest Officer of Nafpaktos Christos Fasoulis and the mayor of Skala, the late Athanasios Daousanis. The Holy Monastery functions in accordance with a published Internal Operating Regulation, as a self-administered Organization (P.L.C.B.), based on the institution of monastic self-administration, with the Hegumen, the Hegumen’s Council, and the Plenary of the Monastic Fraternity as administrative organs. Its construction in 1977 and founding in 1980 essentially meant the reintroduction of Coenobitic Monasticism in Western Greece, a region in which such institutions once thrived, but in recent decades had declined or completely disappeared from civil and church society at large.